Wednesday, April 16, 2014

French - Baroque Period



The baroque is a very atistic period which started around 1600. The word baroque refers to a “rough of imperfect pearl” which I think is very interesting. Modern usage of the word typically is used to describe works of art, craft, or design. Baroque architecture had an emphasis on bold massing and volume and void. An example of Baroque architecture is the Cathedral of Morelia Michoacan in Mexico.




Cathedral of Morelia in Mexico

In interiors, Baroque had grand monumental staircases. These staircases carried messages of power and conquest. They made a huge initial impact of any visitor with their impressive architectural design and decoration.  A famous example was the staircase of the Ambassadors at Versailles. The design of this staircase inspired many others across Europe.



Modern Applications:





YouTube Clip:

I thought this video was very informative and a good resource.

Responses:

I read over Justine and Samantha's blog. I really enjoyed reading Justine's because she talked about the same period I did but she covered different areas. I really liked her information and pictures of Palais of Versailles. I think the photo she found of the garden reall depicts what she was talking about and it was really cool. I also really enjoyed reading Samantha's blog because she covered the Rococo period and it was cool to read over something different. I really liked how she talked about the style of the wardrobes and her picture was really neat. I also really liked her current applications because the rooms were very elaborate and decorative and they were really cool to compare.


No comments:

Post a Comment